chevron

Monday, July 23, 2012

Saving the Drab Dresser

So when my dear hubby and I got married, we acquired old furniture from our parents and other relatives. One of the pieces we got was this old solid wood dresser that is 20 some odd years old. Let's face it, the dresser had seen better days, but with a tight budget, we can't afford a new one right now. So with that, I decided to give it a coat of paint! With the help of my dad, sister, and cousin, we were able to get it done pretty quick! This was my first furniture redo so it didn't go as smooth as I'd hoped. I underestimated how much paint I would need, so I had to make an additional trip to Home Depot. I used the Rust-oleum Painter's Touch primer spray (in grey) and the Rust-oleum Satin finish black spray paint. I used 3 cans of primer, and 4 cans of black (I also used more than was probably necessary because my primer wasn't thick enough on top so the paint kept seeping into the wood and I had to sand down the top and redo it). I didn't even do heavy sanding before either, just a slight sanding using the 220 finishing grit! Then for the hardware, I used the Rust-oleum metallic finish (silver) spray paint. When all was said and done, it turned out great! I will definitely be redoing more furniture in the future!

--Wendi

Before--notice all the scratches in the finish
The worst scratches were on the top!

Close up of the hardware
It never ceases to amaze me how much of a difference paint can make.
Much better right?

No more gold!

1 comment:

  1. This turned out really nice! I love it! It gave that dear old dresser new life. Should last another 20 years...ya think? :)

    ReplyDelete